Pitch Competition Overview
Date of Event
Date: Friday, August 11
Location: Las Vegas City Hall - 495 S Main St, Las Vegas, NV 89101
The competition is open to businesses in any industry. Entrants must meet the following criteria:
- Have a business license in the State of Nevada (proof of licensing required)
- Have been operating for at least six months
- Represent a business project or concept in the early stages of development, launch or operation
Employees of the Urban Chamber of Commerce, United States Black Chamber, and all associated sponsors of the Pitch Competition are ineligible to participate. All determinations as to participant eligibility shall be made in the sole discretion of the Urban Chamber of Commerce Staff (UCC Staff) reviewing the initial pool of applications.
Competition Guidelines and Rules
- Registration of the event entitles the registrant to have his or her Pitch Application reviewed by the Pitch Competition's judge panel prior to the competition final qualification date.
- If a registrant's application is selected as one of the competition finalists prior to the final qualification date, the registrant will be invited to compete in the UCC Capital Pathways Business Pitch Competition.
- Up to 4 finalists will be selected to complete in the Live Pitch Event. In the event that one or more finalists cannot compete on the day of the conference, alternate applications may be selected by UCC organizers to replace them. UCC organizers reserve the rigvht to adjust the number of finalists upward or downward at any time.
- One representative of each finalist company will have 1.5 minutes (90 seconds) to make its pitch presentation before the judges' panel. Pitches will be hard stopped at 1.5 minutes (90 seconds). Time will begin when the presenter begins speaking. The presentation will be followed by a 3 minute Q&A with the judges.
- Presenters must be physically present for the Live Pitch Event at the UCC Capital Pathways Business Pitch Competition, which will be held in Las Vegas City Hall training rooms on the morning of Thursday, August 11, 2017. No prerecorded presentations will be allowed
- Companies may have a "back-up" presenter ready to make the pitch if an emergency arises or unforeseen circumstance prevents the original presenter from participating.
- The use of PowerPoint or slide presentations of any kind are not permitted. Props, posters or prototypes may be used or displayed; however, set up time will not be provided. Handouts and samples may not be distributed to the judges or audience at any time during your presentation.
- All public sessions of the competition may be recorded and rebroadcast by event organizers, the public at large, or members of the media. Participants should not expect to assume any rights of confidentiality related to data or information presented or discussed during the public session.
- The winner will be announced at the UCC Capital Pathways Business Pitch Competition the same day and must be present to claim their award.
- Competition organizers reserve the right to disqualify any application submission that it deems inappropriate, unethical, or offensive- or to disqualify any finalist that violates the rules of the Live Pitch Event.
Application Process and Timeline
- Email the following documents in PDF. format (with "Pitch Competition Application" written in the subject line) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Executive Summary (4 page maximum)
- Copy of current Nevada Business License(s)
- Copy of your W-9
- Failure to submit any of the required documents (except the Business Model Canvas, which is optional) will result in the disqualification of your application.
- Applications will be accepted up to Monday, July 31, 2017 @ 8:00am Pacific Standard Time
- Finalists will be selected and applicants will be notified by Thursday, August 3, 2017
- Finalists must confirm their intent to participate in the Live Pitch Event at the UCC Capital Pathways Business Pitch Competition by Tuesday, August 8, 2017 @ 5:00pm Pacific Standard Time. Failure to confirm will result in disqualification.
- The event will take place Friday, August 11, 2017 @ 8:30am and end at 11:00am the same day
- Competition organizers reserve the right to delay or extend the registration period and adjust the number of finalists selected to make the presentation pitch at any time.
- By submitting an application, you agree to the competition terms and conditions.
- If your business is not selected as a finalist, you are still encouraged to attend as this will be a great networking opportunity. It is a chance to meet with like-minded entrepreneurs and learn about business development resources available in Nevada